BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Julie

True, Julie thought. Tess’s parents were like that. Mostly because Tess was the queen of impulsive, forge ahead and ignore the consequences schemes. But trying to stop Tess once she had her mind set on something was like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose. Still, Julie hesitated, looking for middle ground, for a way out that fell somewhere between of-course-I’ll help-you and no-way-do-I-want-to-be-stuck-in-a-greasy-diner-all-summer.

But she hesitated too long. Choosing to interpret her silence as assent, Tess clapped her hands in excitement, beaming. “It’ll be sooo much fun working together! You’ll see. It’s going to totally work out. I already called and spoke to the owner. She sounds really nice. She’s accepting applications tomorrow morning at 10:00. My mom said I can borrow her car, so I’ll pick you up at nine-thirty. She thinks my applying for this job means I’ve lost interest in ‘that modeling thing’, as she calls it, which just shows how clueless she is…”

Julie nodded absently, only half-listening as Tess gathered up the things she’d brought for their ‘photo shoot’. She shoved her cell, clothes, and makeup into her backpack, hesitating only when her hand skimmed past Julie’s camera.

“Do you think you can take that back now and ask your parents to get you that iPod you really wanted for your birthday?”

Right, Julie thought. Now that she’d pried the camera out of its bullet-proof plastic packaging and used it, along with the software, and her mom had no doubt tossed away the receipt, she was sure the store would be delighted to take it back. She shook her head. “No. That’s okay.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. It’s actually pretty cool.”

Tess wrapped her in a tight hug. “I knew you wouldn’t mind. You’re such
a good friend.” She practically skipped out of the room, calling behind her, “I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning— don’t be late! Isn’t this so exciting?!”

0 comments: