BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Local Girls Preferred

Julie’s expression shifted, tightened. Tess knew without asking she was remembering last summer and the first real job they’d ever had outside of babysitting: selling handbags at the Kate Spade outlet in town. They’d been fired within a month for showing up late, goofing off in the stockroom, and generally acting like a couple of immature pain-in-the-asses. Although they’d laughed it off at the time, spending the rest of the summer taking turns firing each other any time one of them screwed something up, Tess knew Julie had been as embarrassed about it as she was.

“I don’t know…” Julie began.

“Jules, listen. I’m not talking about some stupid outlet job this time. I found something that’ll be great. We can make money and still have fun.” Tess retrieved the local paper from her backpack, opened it to the want ads and read aloud: “Grand Opening: Mo’s Diner. Waitresses wanted for breakfast and lunch shifts. Good pay and great tips. Apply in person. Local girls preferred.” She gave a light laugh. “How perfect is that? We’re girls, and you can’t get more local than us.”

“But waitress? I’ve never—”

“It doesn’t say you need experience. How hard can it be? You take an order, bring it to the table, walk away. Plus, look: breakfast and lunch. That means we’ll still be able to hang out with Spence and Colby at night.”

Another mistake-- mentioning Colby. Julie shook her head. “You hate getting up early. And summer just started. I thought we’d chill out and have fun, work on our tans, whatever. At least for a little while.”

Tess swallowed hard. Julie’s resistance, mild as it was, sent a fresh wave of panic washing over her. It wasn’t as bad as the time when she was twelve and she’d jumped off her dad’s boat at Lake St. Catherine, only to have the current catch her and pin her beneath the hull, holding her there until her brother dove under and pulled her free. But the sensation of being trapped, the soul-sucking urgency of needing to act now, before it was too late, was almost the same.

“Jules,” she said, “I can’t wait around anymore. It’s never gonna happen if I don’t do something. I have to start working now or I’m going to miss my chance forever. You know how important this is to me.”

“But why do you need me―”

“Because if you’re involved, my parents won’t ask any questions. They’ll think it’s a great idea. But if it’s just me, they’ll assume this is just another stupid plan.”

0 comments: